Sunday, April 1, 2007

Illustration Friday Snap 1 of 2©

This piece is a collage, mixed media. The frog is a photo I clipped, and the alligator is pencil, chalk, ect.
I like pieces in illustration friday that make me consider a story or lead me to create one in my mind... and I believe this one might do so. and also have multiple levels of meaning. musing.. like Magrittes Pipe!


It is a bit of an April Fools piece, and later I might just make part of the alligator 3-d as though he were reaching out of the page towards the little frog. Please leave comments, even suggestions... , they are so motivating. I have another idea on the burner, and another style... but first Bed.


18 comments:

ElizT said...

A striking image.

Ammon said...

After a few minutes of internal debate I decided to comment on you awesome work even though you posted it in the wrong category. I cannot believe that you did that.

hehehee....

Wonderful piece. The frog even looks worried.

Janice Ykema said...

(sheepish smile) Im so sorry... I get so confused about where ,specifically to put my work.. This is part, photography... part collage(but very little collage) , part chalk pastel... part ink.. part fabric.. part digitally rendered...ARGhhhhh... I just wanted to choose "other". and then... decided mixed media was the ticket.... After alllllllllll that... I then connected to the wrong web page, (the one that you cannot connect to the blog with! and THEN something got screwed up with my thumb image.... Hmmmmm ,when you consider all this happened seconds after midnight on april the first... Guess the "joke" was on me~... I just ended up going to bed....

emilayusof said...

Great piece!

pati said...

Hehehe... I wouldn't like to be in its shoes ;)

Cool illo, Janice!

cabanadigital.com

Anonymous said...

fabulous illustration, poor froggy! Thanks for visiting my blog too! : )

steve said...

I really like the mixed-media aspect here. The frog is perhaps feeling very lucky as he safely looks on at a big snapshot of the gator. That's my interpretation at least. Cool work here!

-N- said...

I like it- it's like a frog in an art gallery.

studio lolo said...

I like the collaged frog against the soft drawing. It's like Mr. Frog is appreciating 'gator art in the safety of his own home! But like you said...the 'gator may just jump off that page!

Unknown said...

Great collage. I love the texture on the on the gator. Nice!

Richard Franklin said...

Janice, I like your use of mixed media. Mr. Frog looks very contemplative, and pleased, assessing your portrait of Ms. Alligator. Check out Jim Woodring's work on his Ivory Tower Art Outlet site. He's done a whole series of bizarre frog illustrations that you may find inspirational.

MiKa Art said...

Wow, they looks like they are going to move at this moment!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Terrific work! Very strong and dramatic.

Anonymous said...

Great take on a frog about to get snapped up.I used to watch national geographic explorer when I was a kid. I watched a new one for the first time in about 15 years and I was amazed by how brutal it was. I saw a pride of lions attack a water buffalo and eat his ass alive. It was disturbing. Nature is brutal.

Janice Ykema said...

Aarph, Thankyou for the lead on the other artists work.. I enjoyed the site.

Im rather glad this pic of the alligator cant really snap up the frog. Thankyou everyone for your kind words and Input... I appreciate it so!

HARDWAX said...

Fine rendering. That alligator looks like he could slip right out of his space and have a morcel. I think the little smile and friendly eyes are a clever mask, hope little frog doesen't fall for it. Beautiful work and fun!

mike r baker said...

Thank you for the comment on my piece, Janice. You had a lot of nice and interesting things to say. :)

I like your work. Some of your stuff is quite amazing. This piece is very well done - I like the idea of an image being in potential danger from an image. Heh...

I screwed up my link too, last week - happens to all of us. Well, okay, not all of us - just you and I. And like you, I've recently started back into art too. I wonder what took me so long?

mag.nolia said...

This is awesome! Love what u did to the croc.
hartini.com