Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Illustration Friday 1 of 2 Green: Green with Envy©

This piece was constructed using pen and ink and then taken into photoshop. There were, about a thousand variables with applying the printed words. (I of course saved em all) and that means ( my poor computer is now pokey) The result I was happiest with is shown here, because of the shape of the figure.(its got a meaner curve). In another piece I really liked the concept of dealing with the envy in your inner self...(at least thats how it spoke to me). I appreciate any feedback, insights or comments and thankyou in advance, to everyone, who comes to visit my blog and leaves a comment!!!! They are treasured. :)


22 comments:

aeneadellaluna said...

:) It looks so trendy and posh.. do you do illustrations for fashion magazines? It's really nice your style here on green!

atomicvelvetsigh said...

cool concept and lovely design..

Anonymous said...

i really like the one on top! nice work Jan!

Lauren said...

Janice, this is so cool! I love the words and the subtle opposites of the two women.

and thanks for the nice comment!! I'm still learning how to use all this software, but I think I'll always have time for a good old pen and ink version too!

Anonymous said...

Waw, they are both amazing. Wouldn't want to get in her way!

buep said...

They are really good! Great concept and expression.
Thanks for posting to my blog. Keep in touch!

Edward Pun said...

Very nice! Good use of space and design. :)

Jim Pearson said...

Beautiful piece - the way you framed her face with her hair is nicely reminiscent of the great illustrators of the 4o's/50's, like Al Parker and Coby Whitmore. I like your use of type as an element too. Very polished.

Laura said...

great illos! i like the double image one but I think I like the top version best because of the way the words follow the curve of her thigh.

° said...

nice look, line work, expression, and concept

HARDWAX said...

Well they're both interesting and good designs, but the top piece is definitely my favorite, with it's cleaner lines, she has a kind of in your face-I'm here baby. Beautiful impressive in it's energy and overall style!

Anonymous said...

Very nice!!

Jules said...

Really nice. I'm leaning toward the top one.

Absolutely Small said...

Nice one! She looks so sleek & mean. Very well done.

BMT said...

I like the calligraphic movement of the line you drew her with, very organic, yet really polished. And I can see why it was so hard to set aside any of the variations.

Ellell Loke said...

Hi!! ^_^
Thanks for visited my blog! :) I appreciate it!
The green brings envy feeling, like the typography and lines. ^O^

Unknown said...

Very strong compostition in the top version - the offset vacant area strengthens the negative, isolated feeling of the character. Also the red nail polish shows refinement yet a little cattyness. Awesome work!

Dr.IAN said...

nice line work,it looks like Gwen Stephani

Janice Ykema said...

thankyou for the comments... sometimes other peoples give you insights that you might not have yourself... !
and Mr. Prudell... I googled and checked out gwen staphani... and I can see why you see some similarities...... :)

Amy Zaleski said...

These are both fun. I like the first one and the negative space. Big fan of the lettering, too.

Simply Jolene said...

I really like this picture!!

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Wow, excellent concept and stylish execution!