Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Illustration Friday : Polar 2of 2: Polar opposites

What can be more opposite? Real versus an image? A question Magritte posed. Or.. what can be more opposite..
than the image we sometimes have of ourselves?



Totally chalk pastel on canson.. with just a minor hint of pen...

25 comments:

° said...

great looking colors in this, really like it alot

Katie McDee said...

Beautiful! love the pastel work.. I myself have no tried that medium yet, but now I really want to! good job!

margarida colorida said...

Just like Narcissus :). Great work (and thanks for your comment)!

MiKa Art said...

Deep thought and what a beautiful painitng!

atomicvelvetsigh said...

ohh nice flooding with lovely penguin art this week.. and i luv your version!

Anonymous said...

Very cool painting style. Such great textures and colors. Great work.

Mike said...

Nice painting, I like the style also. Great penguin.

harmoniousjosh said...

A penguin and a tree sloth. Those are opposites.

Curious Art said...

Beautiful, Janice, & the concept is thought-provoking too.

esillustration said...

YEAY THIS IS SO GOOD AND I LOVE PENGUINS! I'm so excited to see a piece that is chalk and pastel this week. You are master at this medium.

Richard Franklin said...

Wow Janice, you're an illustration machine! I'm with esillustration on the chalk pastels; great to see someone using them, and obviously not afraid to. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

A very nicely done twist!!!

cathyjune said...

such a beautiful image... and colors! I love your pastel work.

Brine Blank said...

Very loose and painterly...nice job, esp. with a medium that can be difficult at times...really like your color selection and blending...

Kian Edalat said...

I like your coloring technique.
keep up the good work

Big Zed said...

Hello Janice
Thanks for the encouraging words! I love your penguin and the icy colours.I have just bought some pastels to have a go with and I'm looking forward to it even more now I've seen this.

Unknown said...

amazing work! i love the color & reflection!

Debra Cooper said...

Beautiful colors and style. I like the looseness of it.

Thank you so much for your comment. Words like these surely keep me going.

Jules said...

This is great. Did you do it just for IF? Great concept.

Ammon said...

I really like this piece. Wonderful colors. I really like the penguin looking at itself.

HARDWAX said...

Love the pastels, you've done a beautiful job. What a person sees in a mirror and what is real can be a shock, sure can be opposing points of view. I like your idea for "polar", very imaginative!

Kay Aker said...

Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Lovely.

Janice Ykema said...

thankyou all for your kind and thoughtful words......I do look forward to finding them . Ive been so very encouraged by the responses... :)

and Jules?, I did do this piece just for illustration friday...

studio lolo said...

I was doing one last cruise through to see what I missed. I'm glad, otherwise this would have gotten past me! Just wonderful. You make me want to try pastels again, something I was never good at.