Thursday, May 10, 2007

Illustration Friday : Neighbours :Hi-Rise

I couldn't seem to keep away from birds this week. It struck me that it would be fun to illustrate how neighbours can be affected by their personal space and approximation to each other.


I used board this time with chalk pastel, acrylic, acrylic inks, whiteout,and a wee touch of collage, and things were "not" frustrating. Sometimes ... we need to be kind to ourselves.



Let me know what you think... comments keep me inspired, challenge me, and are interesting to boot.

29 comments:

Curious Art said...

Beautiful. I love the collage addition & the colors!

Duncan said...

That's one cool hen balancing 3 eggs. Lovely illustration like the birds on the branches too.

° said...

great looking chickens and like ur use of the meash

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! I love it and I love the concept. Chickens are so fun to draw aren't they?

imwithsully said...

Oh, this is really imaginative. I like the effect that the mesh gives the piece. And my favorite color is orange, so I love all the colors in this piece.

ELLA ELVIANA said...

oh, another great painting. love the bold color and its so funny the rooster on the middle with his 3 eggs!

Twisselman said...

Great hens! Takes me back to my childhood days on the farm, feeding the chickens and collecting the eggs. They can be covetous, quarrelsome neighbors. Great colors and textures here.

arvindh said...

I like all your bird paintings. It is great that you are successfully experimenting with such diverse media.

Anonymous said...

There is just something about chickens. I don't know it is having lived in the country. . .but I really like chickens.

These are really wonderful. I love limited palette. I like the mesh too.

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

And most importantly, you should ALWAYS be kind to yourself!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

I can't believe it...I typed a long entry BEFORE my last post, but it didn't take!

Let me remember...

This illustrations REALLY rocks my boat. Great colors, great textures! I think I found that same mesh tape at the hardware store and used it in this illustration...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2407/3088/1600/Trouble.jpg

I like how this is not your typical "cute chicken" illustration. The chickens are very expressive.

The energy in this illustration is excellent!

Wonderful work!

And I hope your having a better week!

d-Block kiid said...

hea i love our work it on point. GREAT work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

valerie walsh said...

This is truly rich and gorgeous! So textured and painterly, just love it!

Richard Franklin said...

Wow, a very tricky balancing act!

Janice, your work is getting better and better. I enjoyed the colours, textures, and outline highlights in this piece. Also, the wire/burlap? mesh was a very nice addition. I look forward to your next artistic endeavour.

JO said...

Beautiful piece, love the loose, fluid lines. Very lovely (my sister would especially love this she collects chickens for her kitchen).

Anonymous said...

I love the way you portrayed the chicken coup ! Beautiful mixture of materials!
Thanks for your comment on my contribution!

Joy Eliz said...

Wow!!! TWO illo friday's - fantastic!!!
Love this piece - beautiful.

Kay Aker said...

Love the loose and vibrant feel and the collage effect really works!

bookbabie said...

Very nice illo, I'm using IF to recharge my creative juices also, I'm not painting yet but having fun telling the "Story of George":)

HARDWAX said...

Your artwork is gorgeous1 This is a funny and original piece here. Poor old girl, she's doing her best, I love the eggs on top of each other,and mama hen on the top nesting. Beautiful work!

Honor said...

I really love the texture in this! And the colours in your part 1 are great too.

Rodrigo Melo said...

Seu trabalho é bonito e tem conteúdo!!!
Muito bom!

steve said...

I absolutely love this piece and the various layers going on here Janice. This reminds me of a documantary I recently saw, all about chickens, and there was a segment about a guy who had some very noisy roosters living in his backyeard. It drove the neighbors nuts and eventually he was busted for some suspected illegal activity.

nicole falk said...

i LOVE this!!!

JP (mom) said...

Wonderful art (you are SO talented!) and a wonderful metaphor for neighborly "closeness" ... cheers, JP

Natura said...

Beautiful! Very expressive.

Anonymous said...

This is just beautiful-Gorgeous colours & even BETTER,great drawings of chickens!
Not cartoony yet humourous...
INSPIRING-gotta gettta blog,too!

studio lolo said...

Wow, stunning hens! The layering is wonderful here. I'm very fond of the gal on the lower left for some reason. Maybe it's the view. They're all just beautiful!

mike r baker said...

I love this, your birds and your flying pig! Awesome style and colors!