Illustrator and artist
All reproductive rights to works in this blog are reserved and copyrighted
This is a 30x36 inch acrylic..
"The cat is mighty dignified until the dog comes by!" - Southern Folk Saying
Posted by
Janice Ykema
at
2/25/2008 08:12:00 p.m.
15 comments:
I think this is just lovely as is, wonderful shapes and colors. A great sense of place. Lighting wise I think you only need to push your darks some more and maybe add a few small brighter highlights to get more contrast.
What you try to do seems challenging! I love how you tackle the big challenges and aren't afraid. I like this a lot!
Thankyou Heather.. Thats exactly what I'm about.. the gentle pushing and shoving.
Digital Scott thats one of the things I love about Illustration Friday... I am here to both challenge myself and learn.. and ..(cough) who says Im not afraid...? (grin)...
Nice work. Good idea for multiple too. First, I really like the colors and the semi-loose painterly quality. Second, I agree with Heather. If your intention is to draw attention to the cat you have done a great job. If want it to be more realistic or draw attention to the dogs, add a little more atmospheric perspective by adding more contrast to the foreground, specifically to the dog on the right. Thats my 2 cents.
Hi Janice, or should I say Sybil-- thanks for stopping by!
Your animals are always so wonderful. The posture & expression of this cat are just perfect. Equal parts curiosity & fear... I see it in my kitties all the time. (& in myself quite often too!)
I am definitely NOT an expert on naturalistic light-- I tend to go for emotional/compositional effects-- from that perspective, what if you added some shadows on the floor to the left & right, to create a triangle of light focused on the cat? It would take the energy in an edgier direction I think. That may or may not be right for this picture, but since you asked...
Oh, and one other thing-- the wooded background with its misty light is just lovely.
hiya, j! this is gonna be one for your book! what a GREAT idea and fantastic composition! i likeee the light and the natural source but maybe just pump and push the shadows and BOOM you are there. LOVE this idea, truly! :)
You are headed in the right direction! Great design and colors- and your style of course too!
Josh I ended up darkening the values in the foreground... it was a bit too equal for my taste.. and I did try to keep some of the looseness :) .
Curious Art: its nice of you to drop by.. and yep edgier is the challenge... I triangled the light on the bars towards the cat... as well as adding shadows on the floor. :)
Ms. Froggie... I'm hoping the Boom has now fallen :)
Andy Doodler_ Thankyou for your imput.. I kind of work backwards in that its colour that inspired my values...
you really captured good light on the floor, it feels shiny and you can just hear there little claws tapping impatiently and anxiously... great work!
Wonderful improvements. I love the addition of the lock--adds a great story element. The animals are very strong. One thing you might want to do would be to put a few little details in the forground: the suggestion of pattern in the curtains and of tile or wood lines on the floor? The background seems to have more detail at this point, but I don't think it would take much.
Beautiful work. Heh heh, poor little kitty :)
I like the 'Oops, beagles!' expression on the cat's face. I agree with the other comments about darkening the foreground in order to make the kitty stand out more but the art stands as is. I am enjoying the background trees... looks like there's a mist back there. Nice work.
my daughter, going to school to be a vet w, would love this one. i am bracing for the barking to begin
ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress
Wonderful painting! Of course there are animals involved, my favorite subjects :) The cat has that "oh sh--" look on it's face but at the same time seems to be teasing because he's safely on the outside of those bars. I really like this!
I ended up muting the background.. and brightening the middle ground some, and darkening the foreground... worked on the dogs a bit more... and Im content... (for now)
Post a Comment