Friday, February 8, 2008

Illustration Friday: Choose: Which path to choose? :First of 2

This is a painted over another piece. 16x20 and acrylic.

Lifes Path
I look at my life and though I have a 'whole' bunch more to live, seem to always come up against 'that' path...
or fork.

You are the person who has to decide.
Whether you'll do it or toss it aside;
You are the person who makes up your mind.
Whether you'll lead or will linger behind.
Whether you'll try for the goal that's afar.
Or just be contented to stay where you are."
Edgar A. Guest


Please click on image to get a better view and remember to comment.. I appreciate hearing from you.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning color palette and very intriguing subject matter, Janice. It reminds me a bit of Odilon Redon.

I've been a little obsessed with that "Life path" myself. Left or right ?

An interesting book you might want to check out: "the Power of Time"[http://paulineedward.com/time/]

valerie walsh said...

very cool and different for you! I love this idea too and i sure do know what you mean.

Unknown said...

Hi Janice...

this piece is beautiful and I love the symbolism...if we could always head on the right path...

Have a great weekend...

Cheers,
Diana

studio lolo said...

staying with your circular route for a minute, perhaps you've come back to take that path now because you're ready and able to give it your full attention so you can get more from the choice. If things had to be put on hold, then at least it isn't a lost dream if you're given that choice again. (I hope.) Beautiful, thought provoking post. My head is full of the flu, so I hope I've made sense :P

ed said...

Charming interpretation!

Anonymous said...

An excellent illustration of the topic, bravo. I especially like the shadow image and what it represents (to me), indecision, there but not there. Your work instantly made me think of one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost,
"THE ROAD NOT TAKEN". The final line of which comes to mind, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

SusuPetal said...

I like the colour world, it's dreamy and a little psychedelic.

Mick said...

The piece seems so full of symbol and metaphor, a few already mentioned. For me, the variation and repetition of the fork in the road, the branches and the sign in particular lead me to a question: "Why?" Isn't that the underlying reason for making choices as opposed to staying in bed all day? Anyway, good job here, Janice!

Chris said...

Yeah, we got the same idea..
But funny how it is worked out so different.
Nice illustration!

Piercing The Veil said...

i like the colors and the perspective of your illustration on the angle you saw the tree


just passing by good weekend

emilayusof said...

Stunning piece, Janice!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Nice work Janice! Do you watch Lost? One of the best TV shows EVER. I think a strong theme on that show is that things happen for reason. Are you in control? Or someone else? Hmm.

Sara said...

Beautiful picture. I especially like the yellow sign! Thanks for your nice comment in my blog last week! /Sara

nicole falk said...

oh wow i looove the colors in this. and the shadow is great too..

imwithsully said...

Janice, this piece is so eloquent and thought-provoking. We are all on that same path. Seems like there are always two distinct paths... happiness or money.

Honor said...

Nice one for this week! I love how you've played with the scale to make the choice look so foreboding... lovely.

The Artful Eye said...

6 degrees of separation. Were we on the same sheet of music?

Thank you for the kind words and visit. I will return for more.

thefridayfrog said...

love the colors, janice...the distortion. a very powerful thinking person's piece.

tusen said...

great colours - I especially like the trees.

Anonymous said...

JN likes the philosophy of : If something isn't finished ..... you wait...... and work on it some more......
Which fork in the road.... do we follow ? Our head, our heart, or where on the canvass .......a stroke of the brush may take us.......