Illustration Friday: Discovery
I really enjoy watching animals react to one another when young and even when older. I thought that 'that' might be a good topic for discovery. I've also been really wanting to illustrate that suprised stance a cat/kitten and this offered me an opportunity to do so.....
This particular piece is acrylic and chalk pastel .
I included the post finished version.... and cause I like it... I thought you might like to check out the subtle differences..between the before (unfininshed) and (done) version. :) I posted the first earlier cause Ive been having problems with my computer, but so far, so good !
unfinished
c'est finis! 
23 comments:
Very cute fun illo.
You've really captured the movement of how Cats do that arching! Skunks can definatly be a suprising discovery...:(
I love the looseness of this illo. Colors are wonderful The cat looks very surprised.Nice work.
This is wonderful Janice, you've really captured something here, it feels spontaneous, immediate and true. I love the details of the kitten's stance, it's just right!
i agree with the heartfelt blogger. plus it reminds me a peppy la pue encounter for real. mnice toch with the skunks tail going off the pg too. glad u were able to post and more imortant to get ur files off ur comp. hope it is working much beeter for u now
I love it! The startled stance of the kitten is brilliant, gorgeous and it reminds me of one of my favourite cartoon charaters Pepe Le Pew.
Even in its unfinished state, there's no doubt that this piece has captured a moment with color, composition and movement. I love this.
The cat's posture is perfect - nicely done! I was also impressed with the flowers in the background - they add detail without distracting from the cat and skunk.
This is wonderful. I can relate. This used to happen to our outdoor cats in the summer. They were too wild to come inside so they stayed in the shelter of the garage and when we fed them outdoors in the summer we would often see such visitors to their table. Since we also had a black and white cat it was sometimes more of a surprise than we expected.
Awesome portrayal here, and the subtle extras on the finished piece are the icing on the cake. I was watching two squirells go at it, wrestling eachother on the tree in front of my apartment today. little did I realize they weren't fighting at all (I didn't stay around for what happened afterwards, ha ha).
I like ur paintings. Really nice especially how the cat reacts. heheh
What is neat is that the subltle changes make all of the difference. I looked at the 'unfinished' and thought: "that doesn't work"; my eye didn't want to do much. But, the small changes, such as the lower flowers, completed the composition nicely.
Anecdote: Headed out after dark to find our cat. Saw something moving, so I crouched down and called it with that little squeaky/kissy noise that you use to call small animals. Small furry animal veers and comes right towards me. Oh, hello, little skunk!
congrats on getting back up! Macs don't crash often, but when they do...
Beautiful! You captured them perfectly, Janice!
Janice, this is a wonderful illustration! I love them both, the finished and unfinished -- they are perfect on expression and movement, and have lovely color and textures. You added a few touches and highlights to the finished piece which ties it all very nicely together. But I have this thing for unfinished work, they keep a certain element of possibility and freshness so I find most studies and sketches very appealing too. :-)
love your painting! i love watching kittens also, it's just so cute to see their reactions when they discover something new.
i like your painting, you really capture their emotions and gesture perfectly. great job!
you have sussed out the essence of this situation and it delights the eyeballs Janice! I really love every bit of this especially your colours! superb!
Adorable! You really caught that interaction. I like the colors too and the "washy" almost monotype look to it.
this is great, very dynamic! and I love kittens and skunks ;)
This is a great painting, i specially love that the cat seems really surprised!
Someone else thought of Pepe LePew, too. Love the body language of both.
being a cat lover, what's not to love about this illo! Great expression for both animals. I had a hard time seeing the difference between the two, but now I notice subtle changes. Both work for me!
great painting!! love it!! lots of peotry in the brush strokes!!
Post a Comment